News | Lee Wingate

FCPS VS. USK ANIF Match Report


Salzburg Regional League Matchday 7: FC Pinzgau Saalfelden 1-0 USK Maximarkt Anif

Saalfelden, September 5 2020

FC Pinzgau Saalfelden returned to winning ways on Matchday 7 of the Salzburg Regional League season courtesy of a hard-fought 1-0 victory against previously unbeaten USK Maximarkt Anif. Alfusainey Jatta’s long-range thunderbolt was enough to seal the win and earn the Mountainous Pine Blues three hugely important points at the Saalfelden Arena.

The Scenario

Sixth-placed FC Pinzgau Saalfelden went into this vital game in inconsistent form (W2 D1 L3) and low on confidence after conceding a last-minute goal in their 3-2 loss to Salzburger AK. Fourth-placed USK Anif had yet to taste defeat this season (W2 D3) and had looked defensively solid, having kept three clean sheets in their opening five games.

The Action

FCPS boss Christian Ziege was without five players for the visit of Anif, with Lukas Schubert (thigh problem) having joined Simon Ollert (scaphoid fracture), Raphael Streitwieser (foot problem), Michael Viehhauser (bone marrow edema) and David Rathgeb (back pain) in the treatment room. The boss went for a 3-4-3 formation and made two changes to the team that lost in midweek, with Schubert and Niklas Mühlbacher replaced by Alfusainey Jatta and Dominik Kirschner. USK Anif counterpart Georg Hauthaler, who opted for a 4-4-2 formation, made two changes to the team that beat SV Grödig, with Fabian Windhager and David Hutter making way for Corvin Resch and Simon Strauss.

USK Anif looked livelier in the opening stages and should have opened the scoring on the eight-minute mark when centre-back Vinzenz Zschock found himself totally unmarked in the box following a free-kick, but he volleyed over the crossbar from close range. Milos Savic then had a half-chance to put the visitors ahead when he went clean through 11 minutes later, although Henrik Regitnig was quick off his line to thwart the danger.

Play was forced to stop for several minutes midway through the first half as Denis Kahrimanovic received lengthy treatment for a nasty-looking knee-injury. The loss of the centre-back was a major blow for the Mountainous Pine Blues, who continued to struggle against an Anif side full of confidence after their unbeaten start to the campaign.

That said, there were a couple of opportunities for the home side before the interval: a dangerous cross from Tamas Tandari towards Harry Cooksley was intercepted by a defender in the 34th minute, and Alessandro Ziege fired narrowly over the bar with a curling right-footed effort two minutes before the half-time whistle.

The Mountainous Pine Blues looked brighter after the restart – in large part thanks to the introduction of Bienvenue Kanakimana in place of Cooksley – but Ziege headed a Kirschner set-piece over the crossbar on 58 minutes and Kirschner then fired straight into the wall from a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area six minutes later.

However, the breakthrough eventually came on the 78-minute mark when Jatta picked up the ball on the halfway line, drove past Alexander Briedl and fired an unstoppable thunderbolt past a powerless Josef Stadlbauer and into the top corner.

The tension was palpable in the closing stages as FC Pinzgau sought to get the win over the line, but they largely looked comfortably and assured in defence as they sealed a first victory since beating SV Grödig on Matchday 3.

Next up for the Mountainous Pine Blues will be a trip to SV Kuchl on Friday evening. Kick-off will be at 19:00 CET.

Starting Line-Ups

FC Pinzgau Saalfelden: Regitnig, Ziege, Raischl, Kahrimanovic, Jatta, Seiler, Kirschner, Tandari, Cooksley, Moosmann, Fürstaller

USK Maximarkt Anif: Stadlbauer, Gruber, Zschock, Danner, Savic, Briedl, Resch, Lürzer, Strauss, Höltschl, Bachleitner